Startup before logon

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Edited Jun 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Nevermind.....wrong program discussion
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I see you have removed this post. Do you still need help?

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Well I initially meant to post on the forum for Keysticks but maybe you can help. I am trying to get the Keysticks program to run before logon but can't seem to get it to load.

Keysticks is a light software which allows me to control the mouse and other various features of my Home Theater PC with my XBox 360 Controller. If I can get it to load then I can log into which ever account I want just by sitting back and using the 360 controller.

Maybe you can try to get that software to start? Im trying on my end and I made a post over on Keysticks forum. They only suggested to use logon and lock which may not work.

Keysticks forum post address
https://keysticks.net/site/forum/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=55#post55

Keysticks home page
http://keysticks.net/site/default.aspx

Think you can help? This would be a huge leap for Home Theater PC and Gaming PC users.
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Happy to try and help, although it will be limited if the issue isn't with LSL itself.

Theoretically you can use LSL to launch any application at the logon screen, although not all of them will be confortable there, depending on what requirements they have. It seems as though the Keysticks software wants to create a NotifyIcon in your System Tray, and seeing as there is no System Tray at the logon screen, herein lies the issue.

Is there any reason why you need multiple user accounts on a media PC? Or why you can't configure one of these to automatically logon when Windows starts?
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Each user account is setup specifically for a different feature of the HTPC.

Admin - Maintenance, Tuning and Troubleshooting
Gaming - Game explorer and anything related to gaming that I would like to have boot up starts in this account
3D Theater - Movie Playing. Windows Media Center and Background Media Servers boot up
Music - Visualizations and Windows Media Player boots up.

One of these accounts I may need to have boot behind the scenes....or I can just wait patiently and buy IMon hardware and remote to do what I want.
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
From my perspective, I think you have three options:
  1. Consolidate all of your logins into one, which would allow you to enable Windows to automatically log on.
  2. Buy the new hardware you mentioned, which I assume would resolve your issue.
  3. Create yet another logon, which will enable you to reboot and auto logon as one of the other accounts. This adds a bit of complexity to your environment, and is quite honestly a bit clunky, but might help you achieve what you desire without any additional cost.
The idea would be to create a new logon, which doesn't load anything other than the Keysticks software. On the desktop you can place a script (one for each logon account) that will insert the logon credentials into the registry for the desired user, the reboot the system. When the system reboots, Windows would automatically logon as the desired user. At this point you would have to re-insert the logon credentials of the previous account, so that it will automatically logon back to where you started at next reboot (allowing you to select another logon if required).

Again - a bit clunky in the fact that you will have to have two reboots, and that the logon credentials are in plain text in your registry (probably not a huge deal for home users), but it could offer a free solution to your problem.